International students hailing from various corners of the world find Australia a very attractive country to settle in. The largely applauded Australian features that amount to such excitement among migrants worldwide are the stable and open economy, attractive career choices and compensation, highly rated infrastructure, multicultural society and rather unmissable landscapes. Australia offers an impressive life style that many international students aspire to achieve. Learn more about the student visa here!
International students aiming to study, work and live in Australia post their studies should possess an Australia Student Visa to come and study in Australia. After 2 years of studies in Australian universities or a college offering higher education, an international student can apply for an Australian post study work visas under subclass 485. The Australian post study work visa are issued for certain time period depending on your qualification.
The Tourist visas and Working Holiday Visas allow the visitors to study in Australia for a short duration, but they don’t lead to residency and PR in Australia.
The permanent residency pathway in Australia opens-up to the international students when they satisfy the eligibility criteria of being nominated by the employer or they can apply through general skilled migration program. If applying through General Skilled Migration, the applicant must get positively assessed for the skills by an authorised assessor and nominate the corresponding occupation from the occupations list on DIBP site.
An important thing to note here is, your study area and your nominated occupation must match with each other and should be in high demand occupation list released by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. Please note is the occupations list changes every year according to the needs of the economy and labour market.
So, how do you know which profession is highly in demand and almost always figures in the occupations list? Take up those courses which assure you immediate employment post your studies and open a pathway to permanent residency in Australia
There are few prerequisites to fulfil before you become eligible for permanent residency in Australia:
Meet the Australian Study Requirements: The criteria for PR applicants is to study in Australia for a minimum of 2 years and must be on post study work visa or bridging visa.
CRICOS approved study program: Your course of the study should be on the CRICOS list of courses.
Apply for a visa within 6 months: You should apply for PSWV or bridging visa within 6 months of completion of your studies.
Australia is known for its booming sectors; tourism, education and training, health care services, industrial sectors, financial management and agricultural produce related industries contribute highly to the Australian economy.
We have listed out some of the best courses that lead to residency and PR in Australia. Read through:
As such there are many more courses that lead to occupations that figure in the Occupations List prepared by the immigration department most of the time. Contact our expert counsellors at GO Study to know more about such courses. We guarantee the lowest prices on all courses.
The courses that top the list are:
1. Engineering: Many engineering graduates receive Permanent Residency in Australia. The occupations list contains core engineering professions as they contribute immensely to the Australian industries. International students with relevant work experience in the similar areas have the highest chances of getting Permanent Residency in Australia granted faster.
2. ICT ( Information & Communication Technology): Technology jobs are in high demand in Australia, and Australia has a number of jobs for IT professionals in numerous roles. Check out these courses in IT that provide you with a pathway to Australia PR: Software application and programming, Computer Network and System, Web Developing, ICT Business & System Analysis are some of them.
3. Hospitality and Cooking Courses: Tourism is a flourishing industry in Australia that boosts auxiliary professions in managing tourist stays and ensuring global cuisine on offer. Australia has taken centre stage in the world cookery scene, thanks to its multicultural society that influences food scene to a larger extent. You can choose courses that lead you to become: Accommodation & Hospitality Manager, Chef, Baker, Licensed Club Manager, Bed & Breakfast Operator, Café or Restaurant Manager, Motel or Hotel Manager, Caravan Park and Camping Manager and much more.
4. Nursing: Health care and associated services are highly regarded in Australia. In fact, the Australian infrastructure and health care industry are termed as best-in-class in the world. The Australian colleges and universities providing nursing courses have well-rounded course structures and teaching staffs to prepare the nursing personnel for health care industry. Registered Nurses are highly in demand and make it to the Occupations List every year.
5. Trades Jobs: The trades jobs are easy to land and earn you well along with making you eligible to apply for Permanent Residency in Australia. The Trade Recognition of Australia (TRA) is a government department that lists out the in-demand trade skills for local and overseas trade workers. Specific training as in Diploma or Certificate III / IV or Bachelor degree is required for trades jobs along with an assessment by TRA. A positive assessment is a pass to become a Permanent Resident in Australia.
6. Medical: Since the health care industry in Australia is always in need of health care professionals, pursuing medical degrees or post graduate degrees in Australia pays you well. Both in terms of money and permanent residency, this profession is highly attractive. The medical practitioners with specialisation in Radiology, Urology, Physiotherapy, Ophthalmology, Prosthetics, Neurosurgery, Paediatric surgery, Cardio related surgeries, Orthopaedics, Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Dermatology, Medical Imaging, R&D, Oncology, and General Medicine are some of them that are most sought after.
7. Education and Training: Australia’s education system is lauded worldwide. To maintain that high-quality education provider status, Australia invests a lot in education and training. The international students looking for permanent residency after their studies can choose to undertake courses in education and training. You can look at the courses that lead to these occupations: Vocational Education Teacher, Teachers of English language for people coming from non-English speaking countries, Special Needs Teacher, Early-Childhood Teacher( Pre-primary), Primary & Secondary School Teacher, Speech Professionals & Audiologists and University Lecturers.
8. Accountancy: Occupations in accountancy always make their way into the occupations list. Australian industries require accounting professionals specialised in various domains such Management Accounts, Taxation Accounts, General Accounting. Corporate Treasurer and External Auditor are some of the roles that accountancy students can apply for post their studies.
9. Social Work: Social work courses are gaining more global attention and students are keen to take up such courses and work with disadvantaged people. The courses you can look for are Psychology, Psychiatry, Health and Welfare Services, etc.
10. Law: Australian legal scenario attracts many talented students across the world. Legal professionals such as barristers and solicitors have great chances of obtaining an Australia PR. Courses in Land Economics and Valuation, Actuarial Science, Alternative Medicines, Mathematics, Statistics, Cartography and the likes lead you to the pathway of Permanent Residency in Australia.
Get in touch with the expert team of GoStudy who has been counselling on these aspects of international studies for a thorough understanding of your options.
This article is written by a guest blogger