Why work in Australia?
The Australian economy is growing very quickly and every city offers lots of jobs opportunities. Whether you want to change your life or just work abroad for a while, a move to Australia is an exciting step to take. To understand the importance of foreign workers for Australian economy, just consider that 25% of Australian workers were not born in Australia.
Salaries are above the average of most european countries – and minimum wages are the highest in the world – and the quality of life is very high, with a fantastic climate and scenery, relaxed lifestyle, low stress and excellent public services .
These days, unlike many other countries, Australia really offers great work opportunities. International workers and students are often surprised to find their first job just a few days or weeks after their arrival. Despite the strong economy and good job opportunities, the best jobs and salaries can only be achieved with a good English level. So don’t expect miracles: if you want to have success, you have to get your English to a very good level.
Visas for working in Australia:
- Working Holiday Visa: 1 year visa, allows you to work full time throughout Australia (but no more than 6 months with each employer). You can get this visa right up until your 31st birthday. You can renew this visa for a further year if you can prove you have worked for at least 88 days on a farm during the first Working Holiday Visa. Study is permitted – up to a maximum of 17 weeks.
- Student Visa: the duration depends on the course: the visa has the duration of the course plus one month or two months, depending on the course. Student Visas allow you to work part time (20 hours per week on average) during the course and full time during break from study.
- Sponsored Visas – It is possible to get sponsored by a company in Australia. This allow you to work full-time without restriction. See the Immigration website for further details.
The best way to find jobs is to build your contact network. We encourage you to become part of our community which you will find very helpful for finding jobs and other opportunities in Australia. As with everywhere in the world, contacts always help.
The best advice for your search – expecially for hospitality jobs – is to apply in person and meet the employer. Using the internet is usually not the best way to find casual jobs.
The Go Study Australia team is here to help you in your job search: contact us for details!
Work and Study in Australia
Almost every foreign student in Australia works. Casual jobs and hospitality jobs provide a reasonable income (remember: minmum wages in Australia are the highest in the world) and help students practice their English and learn about real Australian life.
With a part-time job you can cover the cost of rent , food and transportation. Typically students work in restaurants, cafes, bars, hotels and in the tourism sector. However, there are no restrictions and any time of job is possible. Casual jobs are generally well paid and do not require an excellent English level, so they are well suited to international students.
Go Study Australia offers free consultancy to work and study in Australia. Our Services include:
- Selection of an appropriate School and Course
- Visa assitance
- Job search assistance
- Medical Insurance assistance
- Bank Account and Tax File Number opening
- Accomodation booking and a complete assistance for your new australian life
- Pre-departure briefing
- Orientation in Australia
To have more information about job opportunities in Australia just come visit us in our offices or just contact us!