Go Study Australia

Are you living in Victoria or planning to live there, and are you an international student or working holiday visa holder? Then you need to know about the new driver’s license change!

In Victoria, they have recently changed their new road safety regulations, which means that all visa holders, including international students, need to get a Victorian driver’s license in order to be allowed to drive on the state’s roads.

You can get one by doing a driver’s license test in Victoria.

But no worries, because you will have six months from moving to the state to get one! So you will have enough time to do so.
Are you already living in Victoria? No problem, you will still have six months from 29 October 2019 to get you a Victorian driver’s license.
For 26 recognized countries there is good news because there is an option to convert your license to a Victorian License without a driving test, people from these countries will also have six months to do.  The 26 recognized countries are; Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, and the USA.

The aim of this change is to ensure that drivers have the experience, competence, and know-how to drive in Victoria so that they maintain safety on the Victorian roads. If you want to drive during your stay in Victoria, make sure you get your driver’s license within 6 months of arriving.

Our friendly team in the GSA office can assist you with this, plus many other things you may need such as setting up a bank account, getting a tax file number and especially – finding courses to live, study and say in Australia.