Go Study Australia
Please note that the immigration legislation is changing quickly and GO STUDY is not authorised to give immigration assistance. We are working to ensure our blog article content up-to-date to assure you get the right information. If you need more info, feel free to contact GO STUDY Australia via australia@gostudy.com.au so we can put you in contact with a migration agent or visit the Australian Immigration website.Some interesting news for those looking to work and travel in Australia! On 5 November 2018, the Australian government announced big changes for Working Holiday visa (417) and Work and Holiday Visa (462) holders.

The changes for the 417 holders

From 5 November 2018, the period you can stay working with the same agricultural (plant and animal cultivation) employer has increased from 6 to 12 months. The eligible age for subclass 417 visa applicants from Canada and Ireland has increased to 35.

The changes for 462 holders

From 5 November 2018, subclass 462-visa holders are no longer restricted to working in agriculture (plant and animal cultivation) in Northern Territory but are now allowed to work in the regional areas of New South Wales, Western Australia, Victoria and Queensland as well as Tasmania and South Australia. From 5 November 2018, the period you can stay working with the same agricultural (plant and animal cultivation) employer has increased from 6 to 12 months. Over the coming weeks, the age cap for certain countries eligible for subclass 462 will be lifted from 30 to 35 years old - the details of this were not confirmed at time of publishing this article.

Get a 3rd year

Subclass 417 and 462 visa holders are allowed to remain in Australia for a maximum of 3 years if they perform regional work for six month on their second year.

Things that don’t change

No change is being made to the existing Northern Australia concessions:
  • subclass 417 & 462 visa holders can continue to work with one employer in northern Australia for up to 12 months in Aged & Disability Care; Agriculture; Construction; Mining; and Tourism & Hospitality
  • subclass 462 visa holders can continue to complete specific work in northern Australia in tourism and hospitality or agriculture, forestry and fishing industries, to become eligible for a second year visa.
Participation in the second-year program is voluntary. Subclass 462-visa holders need to complete a total of three-months (88 calendar days) of specified work to be eligible to apply for their second-year visa. They may combine work completed in any existing specified industry and location with new industries and locations to meet the work requirement. Specified work for the third-year visa are the same as the eligibility for specified work for the second-year visa. For more information about applying for a subclass 417 or 462 visa, see Visit and work.

Changes to develop rural areas

The key focus is on providing farmers with immediate access to workers in key parts of regional Australia. The changes aim to increase the number of Working Holiday Makers available for seasonal work needs. Employers will be able to retain trained and experienced employees doing agricultural (plant and animal cultivation) work for up to 12-months, rather than the previous 6-months. The availability of a third-year visa will attract working holiday makers to work for longer in regional Australia.

Eligible Employment

Plant and animal cultivation includes most agricultural work, such as:
  • the harvesting and/or packing of fruit and vegetable crops
  • pruning and trimming vines and trees
  • general maintenance crop work
  • cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts
  • immediate processing of plant products
  • maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce
  • immediate processing of animal products including shearing, butchery, packing and tanning
  • manufacturing dairy produce from raw material.
Sources: Australian Governement - Departement of Home Affairs