If you are looking to improve your English skills in all areas, such as Conversational; Oral Comprehension; Writing; Grammar and Vocabulary, a General English course is designed just for you!
All schools structure General English courses on different class levels; from Beginners to Advanced. Levels are assigned after an entry language test.
There are usually five General English levels
High profile schools may feature additional levels.
- Beginner – if you’re approaching the language for the first time. In high profile schools it is followed by elementary level with knowledge of basic grammar.
- Pre-Intermediate – if you understand written English but encounter difficulty with verbal expression.
- Intermediate – if you have undertaken proficient English through school, usually with good written comprehension and are already proficient in oral and written English.
- Upper Intermediate – if you who have practised the language, are able to read independently, can have a conversation and practice good written skills. In high profile schools this level is followed by Pre-Advanced.
- Advanced – if you have good knowledge of English and wish to enhance your skills. Some schools feature General English Plus that is focused on academic content, extensive vocabulary and advanced written competencies.
Courses run for a duration of 12 weeks. Schools consider the 12-weeks mandatory in order to progress to the next level. This pathway may be customized, depending on personal requirements.
Most schools have a weekly intake. Schools with high academic quality have a dedicated calendar with a monthly intake. This enables new starters to enter the course on a level playing field.
General English Courses are held in the morning or afternoon.
Upon completion of the course, schools issue a certificate of attendance with the number of weeks undertaken and the English level achieved.