Go Study Australia

The Working Holiday Visa in Australia (subclass 417) is a temporary visa ideally suited for young people who want to travel and work in Australia for a year.

If you are aged between 18 and 31 (or 35 for some countries) and hold a passport from one of the eligible countries, you are entitled to apply for an Australian Working Holiday Visa (WHV) . This type of visa is really popular amongst young travellers and backpackers. The Working Holiday Visa offers the opportunity to explore Australia, and its amazing lifestyle, whilst also allowing you to work and study courses such as the English Language.

While holding a Working Holiday Visa (visa 417) in Australia, you could settle down in one place, or travel and meet new people along the way. If your goal is to tick off all the places on your bucket list, the Working Holiday Visa is made for you! Australia is extremely backpacker-friendly and has billions of things to show you.


The Australian Visa Complete Guide

Visa options can be confusing. Read our free eBook, be aware of all opportunities and choose the best strategy for you!

ebook ten best course to pr
Working Holiday Visa (visa 417) Requirements

To make things easier, we have come up with a list of the basic criteria needed to be granted a Working Holiday Visa in Australia:

  • Age: You must be between 18 and 31 years of age (or 35 years of age for some countries). You can still apply for a visa before you turn 31 (or 36).
  • Nationality: You must hold a passport from an eligible country, preferably valid for at least 6 months.
  • No children: You cannot be accompanied by dependent children.
  • Be outside Australia: You must be outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted (except if you’re applying for a second Working Holiday Visa).
  • Proof of sufficient funds: You need proof that you have sufficient funds to sustain yourself (generally AUD 5,000) and that you have funds for a return or onward ticket to depart Australia.
  • Health: You must meet Australia’s health requirements. 

Note: The Australian Government recommend you have health insurance to cover your stay in Australia. This can be obtained in your home country or in Australia. From the experiences of our previous students, we highly advise applying for health coverage with an Australian provider to speed up claims and admin paperwork. We can help you to find the best coverage that suits your health needs. Contact us for more information.

We strongly advise you to visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website to make sure you gather accurate and trustworthy information about all the requirements to apply for a Working Holiday Visa. Download the PDF document that contains the 1150 form to learn more about this type of visa.

If you don’t meet the requirements, don’t panic! You can still work and travel in Australia with a Student Visa. Contact us now to benefit from our free support.

Eligible Countries

The Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417) in Australia is not open to all nationalities. Currently, only 19 countries are eligible for this type of visa.

What if your country isn’t on the list? Don’t panic. It doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re not entitled to come Down Under. There are other alternatives such as the Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462) and the very popular Student Visa (Subclass 500).

Below, there is a list of countries that currently have a reciprocal working holiday arrangement with Australia:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Malta
  • Norway
  • The Republic of Cyprus
  • The Republic of Ireland
  • The Republic of Korea
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • The Netherlands
  • United Kingdom
Cost of the Australian Working Holiday Visa (WHV)

The fee assigned to lodge an application to obtain a Working Holiday Visa through the Australian Government site is $635 (AUD). Work out exactly how much you will be paying in your home country by checking currency exchange rates.

Second-year Working Holiday Visa (WHV)

You can extend your Working Holiday Visa for one year. In order to be eligible for a second Working Holiday Visa, you must:

  • Have completed 88 days of paid work in a primary sector (construction, fruit picking, farming, etc.) in a rural area* during your first year of Working Holiday Visa.
  •  Be aged between 18 and 30 years old (or 35 for some countries).
  • Be in Australia when your visa is granted (if you applied onshore).
  • Be outside of Australia when your visa is granted (if you applied offshore).

If you are not eligible for a second Working Holiday Visa, other solutions exist to extend your stay in Australia.


Check out our amazing WORKING HOLIDAY promo!


In this section, we carefully selected and answered some of the most frequently asked questions that we encountered regarding the Working Holiday visa scheme.

How to apply for a Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417)

There are two ways to lodge an application for a Working Holiday Visa in Australia:

  • Online
  • By post

Download this PDF form, in which you will find all the documents needed and steps required to successfully lodge your visa application.

How long does it take to obtain a Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417)?

The truth is, it depends on several factors. In general terms and assuming you have provided all the documents inquired by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, then the visa grant notice can take between two and four weeks to be issued.

In some other cases, visa applications can take up to eight weeks if there is a presence of a criminal offence or a medical statement pending to confirm.

When can I enter Australia once my Working Holiday Visa has been granted?

You have one year to enter Australia from the date that your visa was approved.

Once you put your foot on Australian territory, your visa permit starts its period of validity. Hence, you will have 12 months of stay. Remember that you can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you wish during the course of your visa.

Work conditions of the Working Holiday Visa (visa 417)

Working Holiday Visa holders are entitled to do any kind of work regardless of its nature. For instance, you could seek casual, part-time or full-time employment.

However, one important thing to bear in mind before applying for jobs is that this visa has a restriction in terms of work length. Unfortunately, you can’t be employed by the same employer for more than six months.

Therefore, the fact you can only work for a company for no longer than six months makes it difficult for some employers to consider hiring you. This is why many people opt for a Student Visa instead, as you are allowed to work 40 hours every two weeks and your visa can last several years.

Study conditions of the Working Holiday Visa

Working Holiday Visa holders are also eligible to study in Australia for a period no longer than four months while maintaining the same visa status.

We can assist you to find the right English coursespecialized studies or vocational training course.

Contact us today, and let our student counsellors know what you are interested in.

Please note that immigration legislation is changing quickly, and GO STUDY is not authorized to give immigration assistance.

We are working to ensure our content is up-to-date to assure you get the right information. If you need more info, feel free to contact GO STUDY Australia via  australia@gostudy.com.au, so we can put you in contact with a migration agent or visit the Australian Immigration website.

Still indecisive about your journey to Australia? Not sure yet where to start? We can help you with that – talk to one of our counsellors now to explore your options. Alternatively, fill out the form below, and we’ll get back to you shortly.