Go Study Australia

Application for Student Visa

If you are looking to stay in Australia for an extended period of time, an Australian Student Visa is your best starting point.

Studying in Australia is a great way to experience the unique Aussie lifestyle while gaining great new skills. Australia has world-class universities, practical vocational colleges and outstanding English language schools to support international students. If you are looking to stay in Australia for an extended period of time, an Australian Student Visa is your best option.

You can apply for a Student Visa 500 by studying:

ebook ten best course to pr


The Australian Visa Complete Guide

Visa options can be confusing. Read our free eBook, be aware of all opportunities and choose the best strategy for you!


A student visa has multiple benefits and can be the perfect solution to live in Australia.

Study and Work in Australia

It allows you to study and work in Australia throughout the duration of your course.

From 01 July 2023, the working hour cap is reintroduced at an increased rate of 48 hours per fortnight (2 weeks) during your studies, and full-time during your school breaks.

The Student Visa is the perfect solution to extend your stay in Australia after a Working Holiday Visa or a Work And Holiday Visa. 

Contact our experienced counsellors for more information about this process.

Long-Term and Short-Term Visa

This gives you the option of applying for a short-term or long-term visa. Some students will study for six months, while others may study for three years or more on their Australian Student Visa.

Let us know your goals, and we can advise you on the best package to ensure your visa length is appropriate.

No Age Limitation

You can apply for an Australian Student Visa at any age. However, special conditions apply if you are under 18 years old.

Contact us for more information regarding this.

Obtain an Australian Diploma

You can obtain an official DiplomaBachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree that is recognised by the Australian educational framework.

An Australian qualification is internationally recognized as one of the highest standards of education in the world. This certificate may be a key component that will enable you to apply for a Work Visa, or even better – it could be your foot in the door to getting sponsored by an approved Australian employer or business.

Graduate Visa

You may apply for a two-year Post-Study Work Visa once you graduate. If you study for two years at a higher education level, you will automatically be entitled* to a two-year Post-Study Work Visa.

From 01 July 2023, post-study work rights have been extended for up to 6 years for international higher education graduates with eligible qualifications in industries with skill shortages. Depending on their studies, those who are bachelor’s degree graduates will be able to stay in Australia for four years, a master’s degree for five years, and those with a PhD degree will be able to stay for six years.

International graduates who hold a valid Temporary Graduate Visa on 1 July 2023 or who apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa after 1 July 2023 will be considered for the two year extension if they graduated from an eligible course from an Australian higher education provider.

This means you could have up to six whole years to work full-time in an Australian company; gaining experience working in an Australian environment and if you choose to – seek sponsorship. If you would like to study for a Higher Education degreetalk to us now.

We can help you find a course that matches your interest and career ambitions. We will look through our wide range of college and university networks and offer you the best course to suit your needs.

Please, note that you won’t be eligible for a Post-Study Work Visa if your first Student Visa was lodged before November 2011.

Include a Partner or Family Member

Your family members and/or your partner can be included when lodging your student visa application. This means, if you are studying, your family may also be able to join you in Australia.

For instance, if you are studying at a Master’s level, your partner can even get full work rights for the duration of your visa. If you need further information on this matter, please contact us.


Join the community

GO STUDY Australia is a specialized agency in education in Australia. We have built strong relationships with over 200 Australian colleges, language schools and universities. We can give you personalized and free advice on where to study based on your needs and goals.

Our expert counsellors are here to provide free support, regardless of which study program you are interested in.

We will guide you through the complex process of obtaining a Student Visa in Australia; from the choice of school to enrollment.

Duration of a Student Visa 500 in Australia

The Student Visa duration depends on the program you choose:

  • if you enrol for a six-month course, your Student Visa will be valid for 6 months.
  • if you enrol for a three-year program, your Student Visa will be valid for three years.

The program you choose must be between 12 and 52 weeks in order to be eligible for a Student Visa.

Depending on the length of your course, your visa will be granted with the following additional times once you finish your studies:

  • For courses below 10 months of duration, you will be given one month extra
  • For courses over the 10-month threshold, you will be given two extra months.
  • For courses over 10 months in which the term end date is December, you will be given three extra months.
Cost of a Student Visa in Australia

The current fees in order to apply for a Student Visa (Subclass 500) are set to $710 AUD. The price is always the same no matter the length of your studies.

Please note that this price may vary depending on the location where you apply for your Student Visa (Australia or onshore). The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has built a pricing estimator tool to help future applicants quickly get a price overview of their visa application.

Renewal of the Student Visa 500 in Australia

You can renew your Student Visa as many times as you want, as long as you are enrolled in a course approved by CRICOS. However, you need to be advised that if you have had multiple Student Visas in the past, the Government may question the genuineness of your application.

Our expert staff can explain all your options relating to extending or renewing your Student Visa.


Give your job a little something extra


In order to apply for a Student Visa, you will need to meet the following requirements:

Confirmation of Enrollment (COE)

You will need to provide a Confirmation of Enrollment (COE) or Letter of Offer issued by the education provider you have chosen. We will help you submit your application to an approved college, so you can get your COE.

Please note that to obtain this document, the course you have selected must be registered under the CRICOS framework (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students).

GO STUDY has built an extensive network of more than 200 accredited educational providers across Australia. We have helped over 30,000 students, from all over the world, to begin their educational journey in Australia.

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)

Applicants should provide enough evidence to support that their intentions in Australia are temporary, for the purpose of studying or accompanying a student as a dependent or guardian. This means that an applicant should show that they intend to study in Australia and then leave (to their home country or otherwise).

You will need to write a statement to prove that you comply with the integrity measure of the Australian Student Visa program. Later on, this document will be assessed by the case officer responsible for your visa application. The case officer will then consider if your personal circumstances meet this GTE requirement.

If you wish to read more about this criterion, further information can be found on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website. Before you apply for a course, your GO STUDY counsellor will discuss your goals and intentions with you and help explain all the details of the GTE process.

Financial Requirements

When lodging your Student Visa application, you may need to show evidence of sufficient funds to cover tuition fees, travel expenses and living costs for the intended period of stay. These requirements vary depending on which country you are from and which institution you will be studying at.

In most cases, the amount to be considered as enough funds will depend on the length of the course and its tuition fees. For example, the financial capacity of a student who would like to pursue a three-year Bachelor’s course will be different from those of students who are seeking a 12-month English course.

To find out if you will be required to provide documentary evidence to comply with the Student Visa financial capacity requirements, please refer to the Document Checklist Tool developed by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

This process can be complex and confusing, so our experienced counsellors can help explain this essential part of obtaining an Australian Student Visa.

English Proficiency Requirement

Some students may need to provide an up-to-date certificate of an English language test as part of the Student Visa application. This will also depend on what course you wish to study.

Good news for those citizens and passport holders of one of the following English-speaking countries: USA, Canada, New Zealand, UK, and the Republic of Ireland. You will be exempt from this language requirement.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has set out an additional list of English language exceptions. Check and see if you fall into one of those categories, as you may not need to prove your English proficiency.

For those of you who are required to show evidence of an acceptable language test score, please contact us to further discuss which course you would like to study.

We will advise you with a comprehensive list of providers available to assess your language skills and the valid minimum test score to meet this requirement.

Please, be aware that although the Australian Government sets a minimum language score for each education level (e.g., Diploma vs Bachelor), your education provider might have a different language skill level based on the course you’ve chosen. For example, you may have an IELTS score of 6 (IELTS is an international language test). However, some Bachelor’s Degrees require an IELTS score of 6.5 or 7, depending on the institution or the course. In these cases, you might have to retake the exam to reach that grade or look for another course that is within the threshold.

Still unsure if you comply with this condition? Contact us and explain your personal circumstances and the course you have in mind. We’re here to help!

Australian Health Requirement

As an Australian Student Visa applicant, you must undergo a medical health examination. This will depend on a number of factors:

  • the type of visa that you are applying for
  • the length of your intended stay in Australia
  • your country’s level of tuberculosis risk
  • your intended activities in Australia
  • any special circumstances that may be applicable
  • the presence of any significant medical conditions

All costs related to the medical examination are your responsibility. For instance, if you undertake a medical examination and your visa application is not approved you will not be eligible for a refund of any costs you may have incurred.

For further information to know what type of medical examinations are required for a temporary visa application, please visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection site.

Australian Character Requirement

Everyone who wants to enter Australia will be assessed against these character requirements. As a temporary entrant, you might be asked to provide police certificates for each country you have lived in for 12 months or more, over the last 10 years (calculated immediately before the time the visa application is lodged), since turning 16 years of age.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Australian Student Visa applicants must register with an OSHC insurance provider for the duration of their time as a student in Australia. This health insurance policy is mandatory for all applicants who wish to study in Australia (restrictions to a few countries apply).

OSHC is a special health insurance scheme designed for international students. It will help you cover any potential medical or hospital expenses that you may incur during your stay in Australia. It will also cover a certain percentage of pharmaceuticals and ambulance services.

The current government-authorised providers of an OSHC policy are:

  • AHM (Australian Health Management)
  • Medibank PrivateAllianz Global Assistance
  • Allianz Global Assistance

Compare the features and the price of their policies on this website and get an instant quote of the total cost of your OSHC health insurance:

We help students on a daily basis, so we usually know what you might need if you have just arrived in Australia or even if you’ve been here for quite a while. Save time and money by directly talking to us to get you covered. We can assist with setting up your OSHC provider and offer you high-quality coverage at the cheapest rate.

Need more information? Visit the Department of Health and read through the most frequently asked questions about OSCH.

Cost of Annual Living Amounts

Every application where evidence of funds is required should include the following cost of living amounts in their calculation of funds:

  • Student or guardian: AUD$21,041
  • Partner or spouse: AUD$7,362
  • Child: AUD$3,152

Please note that immigration legislation is changing quickly, and GO STUDY is not authorized to give immigration assistance. We are working to ensure our content is up-to-date to assure you get the right information. If you need more info, feel free to contact GO STUDY Australia via australia@gostudy.com.au, so we can put you in contact with a migration agent or visit the Australian Immigration website.