GROWTH IN LAST FIVE YEARS
GROWTH IN LAST TWO YEARS
A waiter serves food and drinks to guests of hotels, restaurants, clubs and more. In Australia, it is one of those jobs that offer many opportunities, because mostly in big cities like Sydney and Melbourne there are many pubs in constant search of capable and motivated staff.
The are many tasks that waiters can do, depending on the work place. The most common are:
- Taking customer’s orders
- Preparing tables with table cloth, cutlery, dishes and glasses
- Welcoming customers at the entrance and taking them to their table
- Describing the menu to the guests and advising on complementary wines
- In some cases, promoting products and local attractions to guests coming from other cities or countries.
- Serving food and drinks
- Presenting the check to customers
- Cleaning tables and bringing dishes and cutlery back to the kitchen
As you can understand, being a waiter in Australia doesn’t mean just preparing the table or serving dishes. The majority of restaurants, in fact, don’t offer Australian cuisine but bring flavours and perfumes coming from everywhere in the world. You’ll have to answer questions regarding ingredients in a dish, the cooking method, allergic substances – every day! So, a necessary requirement for this job is a good knowledge of the English language, to be able to better communicate with customers.
This is where we come in! Taking an English course vastly increases your possibilities of finding a job as a waiter, since the customer that feels like they’re being looked after will be the one that comes back and will suggest your workplace to friends and family. The better the service, the better the tips, although they’re not customary in Australia. It’s the relationship with the customer that counts. To build that, you can count on us, as we can advise you on the best path to take.