The lessons focus on the development of teaching methods that encourage students to learn. They also teach which communication strategies to adopt and how to plan lessons. These courses also include hours of supervised practice at international student classes.
TESOL courses are offered in different modules:
- English for Teaching Children: Dedicated to teaching English to children under 10 years old. The admission to this course requires at least an Intermediate level of English.
- English for Teaching Young Adults: Dedicated to teaching English to young adults under 18 years of age. The admission to this course requires an Intermediate level of English.
- English for TESOL and Certificate IV in TESOL: An Upper Intermediate level of English is preferred to be admitted to this course that focuses on teaching techniques and necessary competencies to teach English to adults. A Certificate IV in TESOL qualifies you to teach English in Australia as a second or foreign language. This course has specific intake dates and are delivered within a fixed schedule.
All of these courses have set duration and start dates.
CELTA and DELTA
CELTA and DELTA are the most advanced teacher training qualifications for teaching English as a second or foreign language.
These are “hands on” courses offering a solid foundation for future teachers and advanced training for experienced teachers. CELTA and DELTA courses need an entry level higher than TESOL and demand a near-to-native level of English.
It is compulsory to pass CELTA before commencing DELTA.
- CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) is the first level for teachers who already have professional experience and an adequate level of English.
- DELTA (Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults) is a further level of education for teachers who already have a substantial number of teaching hours and who wish to improve their competencies or further their career.
CELTA and DELTA are two internationally recognised Cambridge courses. These courses have set intake dates.