Hi, I’m Cat, I came to Australia looking for an adventure. Two and a half years later I’m still here and madly in love with this country! I’d like to share my experience with you and a few options available to make sure your time here isn’t cut short… So you’ve come to Australia on a working holiday visa, and quickly you’ve realised how much you love this place. You have a year to explore but one year just isn’t long enough!! Now what? You can extend your time down under with a second working holiday visa.
How can I get a second WHV?To be granted a second year in this beautiful country, you need to complete three months (or 88 days) of specified work in a regional area of Australia. The specified work industries include:
- Plant and animal cultivation
- Fishing and Pearling
- Felling trees in a plantation or forest
Ways to find work...The earlier you start looking for farm work, the better. The worst thing would be to run out of time or start panicking and end up stuck somewhere you don’t want to be. So, if you know you want to stay, don’t delay! There are plenty of ways to find farm work...
- Recommendations- Talk to people! This is your best chance to find out what a farm is really like. The good, the bad and the ugly!
- Online sites- Just search ‘Farm work’ on Google and you will be inundated with options.
- Facebook groups- There are plenty of Facebook groups which post daily; set up for Australia backpackers or people looking for farm work. Make sure you join them!
- Ring working hostels- Keep ringing, they might have no spaces one day but if you ring the next day, they do. Be sure to leave a name and a number, ask them to call you if a spot becomes available. (There is often a waiting list)
- Ring farms- The same with hostels; keep ringing!